Sunday, September 07, 2014

Titans at Chiefs - Week 1 - Record: 0-1 - ADDENDUM

I simply cannot go another moment without just adding a significant feature to this endeavor's modest rant about the ugliness of this year's Chiefs opener. The original and usually only take is here, and everything there still applies.

But damn.

Here's what I happened to catch after the game. My wife had the Niners game on and, as I've mentioned before, I'm a modest 49ers fan because I grew up in the Bay Area. Still wholly for the Chiefs, but the Niners are okay. (After all they supply us with quarterbacks all the time.)

I'm watching this game, and sure enough there's Colin Kaepernick connecting with Anquan Boldin over and over and over again. He'd done it in previous years, too. Boldin was also a beast with Baltimore, and with Arizona before that.

Now, of course, here's my question.

Where is that guy -- for the Chiefs?

When have we ever been able to have him?

Yes, the only one who was that guy, and granted he was that guy, was Otis Taylor. But ya know?

That's it.

Never ever since Taylor have we had him.

Now I'm not yet getting into what will certainly at some time be The Wide Receiver Project, not yet, but damn.

Don't tell me that Dwayne Bowe is that guy. He wasn't there today, I know, but while he is pretty good, and while I like him a lot -- I do, and a lot of Chiefs fan do too, that's fine -- Bowe is no Anquan Boldin. Boldin has helped his teams win buku playoff games, while Bowe has won -- ahem -- how many?

Here's the next thing I have to write right now, just have to. That other thing I overheard during this Niners broadcast.

The Vikings demolished the Rams today.

Now the Vikings have a decent defense apparently and all that. Okay.

But you know what I thought about. You know...

Matt Cassel.

Sure enough, Cassel was instrumental in helping the Vikings win big, with the help of --

Here's the pay-off... Wait for it...

...

Some wide receiver I'd never heard of before for reasons having to do with him being new or me just being sports celibate and not paying any attention, but because of...

Cordarrelle Patterson.

Amazing game today. Tons of yardage piled up. And yes...

A wide receiver.

So he makes Matt Cassel look really good, and...

Makes me think...

Remember 2012? Remember how awful Cassel was? Welllll, do you know what I'm thinking?...

About how it really, maybe, probably, might be, actually, perhaps

Have been

Our terrible receivers?

Know another major reason we may very well suck this year besides the free agency issue? I can give it to you in two words.

Jonathan Baldwin.

Just looked it up. Didn't know this, just looked it up on the web.

The 49ers cut Baldwin back at the beginning of August. Didn't even wait around. Guess it's good we got A.J. Jenkins for him, but I don't think Jenkins is long for the Chiefs right now.

So yeah. Cordarrelle Patterson - Jonathan Baldwin. Jonathan Baldwin - Cordarrelle Patterson. Wonder which one brings smiles to Matt Cassel and which one... okay...

Ya know, I'm going to say it now. I'm going to say it right now.

I've always spoken highly of Clark Hunt, and I'd like to give John Dorsey the benefit of the doubt for doing his very best to make the best personnel decisions he can. He hasn't been around for long, so we'll see.

But damn, if this team doesn't get some overall organizational stability for a long period of time like a Steelers or a Patriots have had, and if this team does not actually do something to strengthen its long-term draft cohesion by avoiding yawning gaffes like the Baldwin pick and all of our 2009 draft set, then the Chiefs can never truly be considered in the contender class. They just can't.

Yes, we have to let Dorsey have his shot. Yes we have to see if Clark has now learned enough to make sure it's all extraordinarily top notch for years and years to come. I'm very afraid it'll take that long for me to again really say that we've got what it takes, and damn, reasonably so.

It just can't be denied. Today was an ugly, ugly day in our history. Yeah, call me melodramatic, that's cool, I can take it. But I'm afraid there will be lots of time here in the season for me to put together The Wide Receiver Project and we may just find it just as gruesome as The Quarterback Project.
_

And again, just for more ugliness if you dare look, here's my original Chiefs Game Today post for today's game.
_

No comments: